Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German pay out in August, 1854. He said section 9-10 which the Town of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon followed and the Township was organized in 1858 covering 81 square kilometers. Originally called Clinton, St. Joseph obtained its current name in 1870. Many settlers arrived for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Community was integrated in 1890. As the township grew, so have the needs of its people, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their plan in the 1890's, they decided to construct a prison, install a community well, build and repair wooden sidewalks, and place liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a challenge and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was structured, which is currently the St. Joseph Flame Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was growing with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to read more support the young families after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 reducing enough time to milk cows so additional time could be allocated to crops and animal care. Soon after, World War 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to combat.
After the warfare ended people were in a position to get their lives back on the right track, at least for a while, click here before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in place so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which somewhat reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. Together with the depression effecting everyone in town, the community needed to keep together as part of your. Through a federal government give, the Council was able to hire the here jobless to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On December 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially inserted the US into World Conflict 2. Rationing tokens were given out because so many items were in short supply. At that time St. Joseph experienced a populace of around 1050, sacrificing 10 heroic soldiers to the warfare. The community remained strong and continuing to improve the Village, adding a drinking water tower in 1949, plus a new Community well. In 1959, St. Joseph started out fluoridating its normal water supply, and goes on to do so.